Week 1.  This is where it all starts with the main gun.

The bits we received

And what we did with them

First, the barrel.  I can't think of a better place to start a big tank, than with a big gun.  I filed the edges of the barrel and glued them together with slow setting Araldite, just to be certain that they wouldn't move and crack the paint.

All the mould lines are files off with a needle file, and the protective paint scuffed up with emery tape.  I didn't remove all of the protective paint (I assume that's what it is anyway) as the primer seems to stick to it OK.

The parts were glued with Araldite as well as being screwed.  I didn't want them to have any chance of moving.  Take your time to make sure the barrel is on straight.  It can go skew wiff if you're not careful.

Note that there are 2 different lengths of screw.  The longer ones hold the rear barrel and muzzle brake to the barrel.  The shorter ones hold the mantle on.

Finally the parts are primed with Halfords white primer.

And here they are with a coat of Dark Yellow airbrushed on.  They still need a second coat.  I use Vallejo ModelAir paint which seem to work very well.

Things not done yet

Nothing !

Hot tip of the week

Be wary of things that 'snap fit' (or bash fit according to the instructions !) as they are likely to move and crack the paint in future.  It's worth spending time getting the main gun right as this is a focal point of the model.

Take me to week 2